From the gorges of Asco, ruled over by the wild ‘mouflon’ sheep, proud symbols of the mountainous regions of Corsica, to the Désert des Agriates and the Fango valley, the charm and appeal of the Balagne region is undeniable.
Set against the stunning backdrop of the island's highest peaks, its captivating villages - some dating back to the Middle Ages - tower above the glittering sea below. Near two of the region's coastal villages (Calvi and Île Rousse) are a series of long, fine-sand beaches interspersed with rugged inlets, running south along the coast towards the peaceful golf course at Galeria.
This "island within the island" is a bright and refreshing landscape, enjoying prosperity since the dawn of time. The farmlands are awash with colours and aromas; olive groves and grapevines (which have been cultivated since antiquity), as well as orchards of almonds and peaches, and vast plantations of “Everlasting” flowers. Livestock farming and grazing also features prominently in the region's farming landscape. The locals, known as les Balanins, are well-known for their creative flair, and are currently enjoying a resurgence in the popularity of ancient handcrafts. Over the last 50 years, an artisanal and artistic community has emerged in the area, giving local villages a fresh wave of energy and dynamism.
THINGS TO SEE AND DO
Calvi Polyphonic Choral group performances / The "Estivoce" Festival (the world's most beautiful voices) / The Fango Biosphere Reserve / The Bonifato forest / The Saleccia Botanic Gardens / Various churches and chapels with Roman and Baroque artistic features. Walking trails, with 250 km of renovated pathways. Orgues Mountain (guided tours, heritage exploration, journeys of discovery and musical exploration). Reginu golf course. Inaugural edition of the SoMeRo event (world championships of Social Media Management).
- Discovery Days, in the Saleccia Botanical Gardens during April.
- The Santa Restituta fair, held in Calenzana at the end of May.
- The Fiera di l’Alivu (Olive Fair), held in Montegrosso in Mid July.
- La fête des vignerons (Winemakers Fair, featuring producers from Balagne to San Vincente), held in Calvi in late July.
- The Fiera di l’Amandulu (Almond Fair), held in Aregno in early August.
- The Ile-Rousse village fair, held in early October.
- The Pottery, Kiln Crafts and Artisanal Fair (Fiera di u Focu), held in Costa around mid-August.
- THE ARTISAN TRAIL / THE WINE TRAIL
www.balagne-corsica.com / Tourism Office / Calvi +33 (0)4 95 65 16 67